Skinny Chicken & Dumplings
A lighter take on a southern cool weather favorite!Print Rate
Servings: 6 servings
- 1 lb chicken breast, cooked and shredded
- 6 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup 1% milk (or skim)
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 8 biscuits Mary B's thin biscuits
- to taste salt and pepper
- Cook chicken breast and shred and set aside.
- Heat chicken broth to simmer. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- While heating, cut frozen biscuits into 6ths (use a sharp knife).
- Once simmering, drop biscuit pieces in one by one, stirring as you go.
- Add chicken then simmer on a low setting for 20-25 minutes or until dumplings are done.
- In a measuring cup, mix 1/4 cup milk with 1 tbsp cornstarch. Once blended pour into chicken and dumplings. Heat for 5 minutes more then serve.
For the chicken breast, I cook mine in water + chicken broth base (the same one from the poppyseed chicken recipe) and use that liquid as a starter for the chicken broth and just add to it to give more flavor. Another dumpling option is 5 soft taco sized flour tortillas cut 5 times one way and one time the other. This is an even lower fat and calorie option at 222 calories, 4g fat, 23 g carb and 22g pro. I am just a biscuit girl when it comes to dumplings! Feel free to jazz the recipe up with spices and veggies! This is the most basic because some people (me) like them that way 🙂
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 266kcal | Carbohydrates: 20g | Protein: 21g | Fat: 10g